Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Snow and Rose: Post 2


Hello again! 

The trailer- Snow and Rose- has kicked off with great progress! The script is done, the sites have been scouted, props are being gathered and characters have been finalized. 

I was left to the task of getting the background look up and running, which went through a lot of trial and errors to get it to fit into the whole background. I had to go into the CSS coding to do so. I wouldn't really do it without saving the old code on a document of some sort, just in case something may go wrong or something goes askew during the editing. From the last post, there were three blog background options: the patterned red and white roses, the roses with the vines or the option with the two girls on either side of the information. It was decided that the middle option would be best, especially for tumblr which can be found here: link


The design wouldn't get in the way of the font or information, but would be related to the project through the  color (white and red) and roses. I cleaned up the design to make it cleaner and eliminated a few of the roses to give it an even balance of red and white roses.


The final step was putting the component into the background without cutting it off or having any white spaces around it. As I mentioned above, it was a long process of trial and error before having to go into the CSS coding. The blog, found here, finally looks like this:


The logo was just taking two existing roses from the vine and putting them together.


My other job was the create the finalized looks for the characters: Snow, Rose, the Dwarf and the Bear-Prince. Snow and Rose, after much discussing and changing of the wardrobe choice, were to take on an "Art Nouveau" look; long flowing hair, flowy dresses, and ribbons galore. My initial concept of them were more on the simple side taking after Alfons Mucha's designs for the girls' attire.


The pictures above are the two main sources for the look I was going for with the girls. The top one was more for Rose Red, the warm colors accompanied with an almost care-free look about the dress drawn me to it, while the bottom picture went more towards Snow White, the simple design for the dress and the sheer innocent beauty stuck out from the other examples I looked at.


Above is the initial design for the girls. I went with simple dresses as well as the other little details Alexis S. and Matt S. told me. I also based the colors off of my first drawing of the girls seen in my first post. Rose Red, dressed in a variant of reds and pinks, is the only sister to have a red cape and ribbons under her chest and around her waist as well as hanging sleeves on both sides of her arms. Snow White has a ribbon wrap along the top of her dress which goes off one shoulder and another ribbon wrap around her waist. In the full drawings of them, the girls start out with flower crowns, in the busts they are shown without the crowns: Rose has a braid in substitute for the crown while Snow leaves her hair pure.

Below is a later revision after the first went through and was told to add more detail to their dresses: flowers, lace and beading. I used very little to no beading for the fact the lace took up most of the detail as well as the flowers. 

Rose has lace on the top of her dress and in the middle of her dress, the lace being surrounded by the line of red and pink roses in substitute of the ribbon. There is a strip of lace along the bottom of her dress and on the sides of her dress, the finishing touch was a small rose bracelet on her wrist.

Snow has more flowers added onto the sleeve and lace added to the top and bottom of the dress. Instead of a rose bracelet, Snow has a lace choker around her throat.


The whole idea of the Bear-Prince was to have a good mixture of human and bear in a costume. The first thought of the Bear Prince was to have him be like a tribal man which then switched to a man dressed in a fur coat and bear mask. Instead, I combined the two so the top is a pull over hood to obscure most of the face with a partial bear mask. I looked back to Matt S.'s (blog can be found above) sketch for a little inspiration for the pants and boots. 


The Dwarf was based off of the Germanic version of the Dwarves and... well, a homeless person. I was told to keep the Dwarf on the knobbly side, but make him look worn, mean, and scary. I kept his attire to earth-tones and dingy colors with kisses of yellows and browns mixed into them. His top is covered in dirt, the pants have dingy patches to cover up holes and his shoes are worn and dirty. The man himself has long stringy hair and long beard, his skin is a little on the grayer side than the normal peach and his finger nails are long and curled. The design of the Dwarf really creeps me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment